Welcome to today’s stop on the blog tour for Everything I Left Unsaid by M. O’Keefe! You can check out my review for this fascinating, entertaining book here!
M. O’Keefe’s Top Eight Favorite Cliffhangers
Man, I love a good cliffhanger, that giddy but slack-jawed feeling that comes when you think you have a book figured out and then WHAM! The doors get blown off. And a good cliffhanger is a tough thing to create – it has to be shocking but not so shocking as to be unbelievable. You want readers to fumble for their keys or their computer so they can quickly go and get the next book. You definitely don’t want readers to throw books at the wall and write hate mail.
Fine line, very fine line.
My book Everything I Left Unsaid has a cliffhanger, a doozy of one and I really hope no one is throwing their books at the wall.
In honor of that here’s my list of favorite cliffhangers.
- The Captive Prince by CS Pacat – I’m waiting for the third book right now and I honestly don’t know what to believe. Is Laurent manipulating everything? Or are his feelings real? WHAT IS HAPPENING?
- A Dance with Dragons by George R. R. Martin – Jon Snow NOOOOOOOOOOO!
- The Bronze Horseman by Paullina Simmons. I don’t want to tell you how much money I spent for a foreign English language edition of the second book because it was going to be printed in Canada for another year. All because I HAD TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENED TO ALEX!
- The Fever Series by Karen Marie Moning – this was one of the best reading experiences of my life. We were coming home from a cottage and I was reading the third book (I’d read the first two at the cottage – ignoring everything except Barrons) in the series and I made my husband pull over so I could use the wi-fi at a Starbucks so I could download the next one.
- The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins – this series broke the mold. I might have pretended to be sick when the third book was released.
- One Week Girlfriend by Monica Murphy – I love Monica’s writing. I love her characters and like many romance readers I gobbled this series up.
- Shari Slade had a serial running in her newsletter that was utterly addictive – so many cliffhangers, so much gritty wrongness – I love it. The Serial is The Devil’s Host MC – go check it out!
- The entire Outlander series – I feel like I should reread the series now because I can imagine Sam Heughan as Jamie and that makes all the wondering and the angst even more powerful!
How about you? Which are your favorite cliffhangers? Or do you hate them?
Reading Order: Everything I Left Unsaid series
Win one of THREE phone cases!